Tuesday, October 26, 2010

MAC Magically Cool Liquid Powder Review

I finally got my hands on the 2 things I REALLY wanted from the MAC venomous villains collection! I had been going gaga over it ever since I was in Vancouver and was really sad when I realized I wouldn't be able to get the Magically Cool Liquid Powder unless I hunted down a MAC store/counter. *chuckles.. that was probably the first thing I did when I got here! HA!

The good news: I was able to track one down!

The bad news: The one I tracked down was farther from my house and released this collection later than the one close to my house.

The worst news: I didn't know about that and didn't get it till TODAY.

BUT, that's okay! Because what's important is that I DID get it and I got to read a bunch of reviews on these things before actually deciding to buy it.

So which one did I buy? Truth & Light? or Cajun?

BOTH!!!

I was so excited!!! I literally ran into SOGO (department store here) and my peripheral vision was lost. It was IN --> lock eyes on MAC. Done. That's how persistent I was about getting this powder. My mom thought I was crazy cause along the way there were people doing their thing, passing out fliers and I just pretended they didn't exist and was speed walking to MAC MAC MAC!!

So here's a few pictures I took:






Now, the packaging is gorgeous, aside from the ugly man on the lid. By gorgeous I obviously mean the container and the box it came in. I was never a fan of Dr. Facilier and I think they screwed this one up because I feel venomous villains should be about all the CLASSIC villains that we grew up with. Why not the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland? Or Ursula from The Little Mermaid? How about Lady Tremaine (the evil stepmother from Cinderella)? I'd almost even prefer Jafar if we were to go on a "male" tangent, even though him and Dr. Facilier do kind of resemble each other haha.. 
But I felt like when they came out with Dr. Facilier every one was like "who?..wait what?" and when you say "Princess and the Frog" they go.. OH I didn't see that....
That might be why this product didn't sell quite as well as the other collections did. The main marketing was dependent on Disney, not really MAC. If you actually saw the collections you'd realize nothing in all four parts of the collection was really "special" except for this Magically Cool Liquid Powder. We had eye shadows that were permanent with different packaging and beauty powders that were just ...well.. beauty powders. So that's why I wanted this so badly. Not because I like the villain. But because this powder was unique. In fact, I'd probably go even MORE gaga for it if the Magically Cool Liquid Powder was part of any of the other 3 parts of of the collection. I do believe it would have received a lot more attention than it did if it were, say, part of the Malificent collection.

Aside from my dissatisfaction with the character it portrays, I have to say, I do like this powder. I was actually expecting some really fascinating WET highlighter that'd make me look super dewy. Honestly, if that's what you want when you buy this, you shouldn't get it. This has some shimmer but it's not enough to provide any sort of "highlight". It's more of a setting powder that finishes with an ethereal glow.

Now you're probably wondering why I went out of my mind and bought both colours cause clearly I could not possibly be that dark or that light at the same time. My initial thought was that I could use the Truth & Light as a highlighter/all over face powder and then the Cajun as bronzer. That's pretty much how it works out now. However, it's not as pigmented as I thought it would be so I could actually sweep the whole thing all over my face for both of the colours and you wouldn't be able to notice. I actually did half my face with Cajun and half my face with Truth & Light:


Can you tell a difference?

Didn't think so! They're both really sheer, but as you can see it gives a glow to the skin that normal setting powders don't give. AND, it's not shimmery so you don't have to worry about being a disco ball.
*Side note: the shine you see on my cheek is from MSF in Petticoat -- NOT the Magically Cool Liquid Powder.

Overall I really like the product. It has a nice cooling sensation that probably will get old over time, but it's still nice. These 2 tubs will probably last me a REALLY long time since they both do about the same thing. I can get away with using the Cajun as a bronzer if I use a denser brush with it though, but I'll have to test it out some more.

If you're thinking about getting it and your MAC store/counter isn't sold out yet, I say get it. You won't be disappointed. However, if you already have lots of setting powders and don't need another one, I say don't. If curiosity kills you, I hear it's going to become a part of the permanent collection so that's a plus in 2 ways. 1) you don't have to live with the ugly Dr. Facilier packaging and 2) you don't need to rush to buy it.

So that's my review, and I hope it helped you make a decision no matter how late this is. Taiwan MAC seems to have a lag from North America MAC stores. But I guess that gives me time to look at reviews and swatches before buying.

Until next time,
Love dove <3*


No comments:

Post a Comment