Friday, August 6, 2010

Coastal Scents Review + FOTD

So a while ago I went youtube crazy and saw how these coastal palettes were used so much in tutorials and favourites videos so I wanted to get one for myself. At the time I was just colour crazed and wanted all the colours of the rainbow (practical or not). So here's my review for the two palettes I got:

88 Color Eye Shadow Palette




This is the original palette that Coastal scents came up with and you can even find the same palette from a no name brand on eBay. I can't really say if it's cheaper cause when I was buying it I remember calculating which would be cheaper and I ended up going with coastal scents.  Also, I heard that these are pretty fragile so I liked having the peace of mind that if anything happened during shipping that I could still exchange it or something. But they came perfectly so never mind that.
Some people refer to this palette as the matte palette but as you can probably see, not all the colours here are matte. some have pearl finishes and some are really metallic looking. There's a good assortment of colours and 88 seems like enough colours until you relaize there are some colours that you just don't have.

Here's the other palette:

88 Ultra Shimmer Eye Shadow Palette




My excitement was beyond anything else when I received these in the mail and for a few days all I did was stare at the pretty colours and swatch them on my fingers non-stop, being all giddy like a little girl. When it actually came to using the palette, I became overwhelmed with all the colours. Some of the colours in the palette are really similar to the point where if you finished one you could just go for the other one and you'd have the same look. That could be good or bad depending on how much you like the colour. I think these palettes are really great if you're just starting out with makeup and don't have many eyeshadow colours cause the chances of using this up quickly are slim.
Even though the all the eyeshadows are smaller than a dime you still get a pretty decent amount of product because they are pretty pigmented. Some of them, I have to admit, are pretty chalky and chunky in the Shimmer palette. But I still find the shimmer palette to be a lot more useful for creating brighter looks than the matte palette. I use both just cause matte colours tend to saturate colours more so I'll use the shimmer first and then saturate the colour with the matte on top. The colours from the 2 palettes correspond to each other so a shimmery purple will be a matte purple of the same (or close) shade in the matte palette.

Looking at this now you might think it's actually a lot of colours and you'd be pretty much done with eyeshadow hunting after you buy these palettes. In reality, I find myself not reaching for these palettes so much because of 3 reasons.

1) I have this burning feeling that if I use it too much I'll use up one colour and have to replace the palette for that colour (probably not going to happen though)

2) How often do YOU wear hot pink and neon yellow eyeshadow?

3) I find that once you get used to these palettes you'll start realizing that there's all these colours that you DON'T have. Which snowballs into a gigantic eyeshadow spending spree (say at MAC...). For example, theres no duochrome colours and I've been crazy about duochrome lately, putting them on my cheeks, nails, eyeshadow, etc.. but one day I just realized I didn't have any. But that's just me being a complete diva.

Overall I really like these palettes cause it's nice to know that you'll have all these random colours if you ever find yourself thinking "if only I had a hot pink eyeshadow to match my shoes"

I have had only one occasion of it crumbling but that's cause I accidentally knocked it over when I was sleeping once and broke it. I fixed it buy crushing the whole shadow into powder and putting alcohol in it as a mixing medium and then pressing it back. I lost a lot of product doing that though (like 1/3) cause it was a messy process. But I found after doing that the shadow seems less pigmented. I don't know I'll experiment with it a bit more.

Moving on... I got a bit bored today and decided to experiment with a more natural look that looks like you're not wearing any makeup. Here's what I came up with:

FOTD - Drugstore


Face: 
Physician's Formula - Organic Wear Tinted Moisturizer
Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in 005 Silky Beige
Revlon matte blush in 002  Blushing Berry
Annabelle bronzer in Mattitude (L/E)

Eyes: 
Smashbox Photofinish Lid Primer
Wet 'n' Wild ColorIcon in 249 Vanity - Top right colour for lid, middle left colour for crease,  top left colour for brow bone highlight.
Covergirl Perfect Point Plus eyeliner in 210 Expresso (smudged)
Covergirl Brow & Eye Makers in Midnight Brown
Covergirl Lashblast Mascara in Very Black (HG)

Lips:
Maybelline Lipstick in G132 Nude Blush

I'm pretty happy with how this look turned out cause I haven't done any really natural looks lately cause I usually wear smoky neutral browns to work. I kind of like using tinted moisturizer rather than foundation and might go for this look more often now. The key to this look is minimal eye makeup. I usually put eyeliner really boldly on my lashline but decided to smudge out all the lines today.

That's all for now!

2 comments:

  1. Can Coastal scents products only be purchased from their website? Or can they be purchased in store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I know, they're completely web-based and you can only purchase their products on their website or sometimes e-bay. But I would steer away from e-bay just because it won't guarantee your item will arrive safely.

    Shipping for Coastal Scents is a bit expensive, depending on where you live but it's surprisingly fast

    ReplyDelete